Bali is now the top golfing destination in Asia because it offers professional standard golf courses, exotic scenery, and a laid back atmosphere. There are five main venues to choose from on the island and all of these locations offer a quality experience. Bali can also be a good choice for people looking for some lessons with professional instructors. Most of the golf resorts will offer packages which include accommodation, and this can be the most cost effective way to enjoy this sport during a trip to the island.
Where to Play Golf in Bali
There are a number of quality golf courses to choose from on Bali including:
Nirwana Bali Golf Club
Nirwana Bali Golf Club is a popular choice with golf enthusiasts visiting Bali. The course has been described as sensational and a visual masterpiece by some players. Nirwana can be found off Jalan Raya in Tanah Lot. It is approximately 23km from Kuta, and it can be reached from there by car in about forty minutes. It is located right beside the coast and players can enjoy some nice views of the Bali countryside and the ocean. Nirwana Bali is an 18-hole course, and it has been designed to meet PGA standards. One of the most unique aspects of the course is that players will need to contend with exotic hazards such as rice paddies. A golf experience (3 days, 2 nights, and 1 round of golf) at Nirwana costs 3,190,000 IDR (as of mid-2013). Guests staying at the Nirwana Hotel enjoy significant discounts on green fees.
The Bali Handara Golf and Country Club
Bali Handara Golf and Country Club is one of the top courses in Asia, and it has been listed in the top 50 greatest golf courses in the world by Golf Magazine. It is located in Begadul inside of an inactive volcano. This is a particular beautiful part of the island with the course surrounded by lush green hills. The course was designed by the Australian professional golfer Peter Thomson. The green fees for 18-holes are US $150 but guests of the hotel only pay US $85 (as of mid 2013). It is also possible to play just 9-holes for US $80 (US $65 for guests). A full set of premium golf clubs can be rented for US $50.
Bali Golf and Country Club
Bali Golf and Country Club can be found to the very south of the island at Nusa Dua. It is approximately 15km from Kuta. This 18-hole course was designed by Robin Nelson and Rodney Wright, and it has been described as Hawaiian styled. In 1994 Bali Golf and Country Club hosted the Asian Dunhill Masters. The course involves a nice mix of terrain including ocean views, hills covered in tropical vegetation, and rice field terraces. The clubhouse here also has a good reputation.
New Kuta Golf Club
The New Kuta Golf Club is located on Jalan Raya in Jimbaran. This is a par 72 course that has been designed to a championship standard. New Kuta golf course covers an area of 85 hectares and has 18 holes. They offer a wide variety of membership options with special deals for people staying in hotels affiliated with the club. The clubhouse has a pro shop, restaurant, spa, and nearby practice range.
Bali Beach Golf Course
Bali Beach Golf Course is a nine hole course located close to Sanur. The grounds here are well maintained, and they have been designed to create the perfect putting surface. The course is surrounded by pine trees, and this provides a welcome bit of shade. There is a good deal of variety between the holes, and this is a course that will be suitable for all levels of expertise. It costs US $70 for nine holes and US $90 for 18 holes (this means going around the course twice). It costs US $22 to hire a set of clubs (prices correct as of mid 2013). The clubhouse has a locker room, pro shop, restaurant, bar, verandah area, executive lounge, and ballroom.
Driving Ranges on Bali
There are a number of driving ranges on the island of Bali including:
- Bali Beach Golf Course has a night driving range that opens from 19:00 until 22:00
- Udayana Golf Driving Rangeis located in Denpasar, and this can be a cheap place to go knock some balls around.
- The practice range at New Kuta Golf Club provides 250 meters of turf grass as well as artificial grass.
- The Bali Handara Golf and Country Club offers three practice putting greens and one driving range.
Golf Lessons on Bali including:
There are a number of options for people looking for golf lessons in Bali including:
- Nirwana Bali Golf Club offer a 3 night golfing lesson package (two days of instruction), Junior coaching(Saturdays and Sundays), and ladies golf coaching (8 hours of lessons).
- Bali Handara Golf and Country Club can offer 18-hole on course playing lessons for US $70 or a one hour driving range lesson for US $30
- New Kuta Golf Club has a golf academy where professional players provide instruction for golfers of all skill levels – a one hour lesson costs 600,000 IDR for members. They also have regular camps for golfers who wish to brush up on their skills.
Practicalities of Playing Golf in Bali
Here are a few things to consider in regards to playing golf in Bali:
- For places like Nirwana it is much better value to choose one of the golfing packages that include accommodation. Just turning up at these places to play golf can be expensive.
- It is usually mandatory to hire a golf cart when playing at a golf course in Bali.
- It is also usually expected that players will hire a caddie.
- All the golf clubs on Bali have a pro shop where it will be possible to hire clubs and shoes.
- Some of these venues have links with other golf clubs around the world, and this means that those golfers who are members of these other clubs can enjoy nice discounts.
- It is always worth visiting the clubs website to check out the latest promotions.